Editor: The Times:
I am a concerned citizen who is also involved in the trucking industry. I have a few points to put out there with the hope they get us all thinking about this roundabout.
1. Why weren’t the major trucking firms that use this corridor every day asked for their opinions on a roundabout? Arrow and Munden, to name two, were not contacted.
2. Inside of a week highway trucks could be using the old highway past Raft River School to avoid the roundabout. Not a good scene!
3. Lowbeds and chip trucks have a very low clearance and could very likely get hung up on those “aprons”.
4. Ambulance and fire trucks will have a slower response time – when seconds can make the difference between life and death.
5. Our snow removal record is mediocre at best. In one night we can get more than a foot of snow creating a traffic nightmare.
6. Most of the accidents at the hotel and A&W junctions as well as Jenkins Road have been caused by negligent drivers attempting to get onto or cross the highway – not the highway traffic.
7. Drivers training doesn’t address roundabouts so most drivers have no practice in using them.
Someone’s political agenda should not preclude looking at other safer and more practical solutions.