Editor, The Times:

Many Canadians are simply ahead of the curve

Editor, The Times:

Well I must admit, I have imbibed from time to time on the “noxious weed”—not much, all things in moderation—an old proverb.

However, having seen the future—the legalization of marijuana—well I and millions of other Canadians were simply ahead of the curve.

One item that jumped out at me from Jim Lamberton’s letter was that about a ship being stuck in the ice, which proved that a great big deep cold was lurking around the corner just waiting to freeze us all solid.

If Lamberton was referring to that same Russian ship that I am thinking about in the Northwest Passage, this particular ship was not stuck in the ice. It was up on a rock—rocks as I found out with my own encounters with them in 40 years of shipping on the B.C. coast are hard and unforgiving. They don’t freeze or melt unless there’s a crack or very high heat.

The one singular reason beside the fact the ship was skippered by Russian (my waggish friend again—it’s a Russian ship so one has to assume the shipper is Russian?) is the ship was cruising in uncharted water—only about 10 per cent of arctic waters are charted, the other 90 per cent remain largely unknown despite today’s modern navigation devices.

The reason most of the arctic is basically unknown is that for eons it was covered by thick ice—and woe to anyone, as the Franklin expedition found to its sorrow—trying to penetrate this frozen wasteland.

No Longer! Great areas of the Northwest Passage are now ice free for part of the year. Thus, ships including Russian ones are more and more cruising water never travelled except for some long dead mariners that supposed tens of thousands of years long past?

And there are many, many shoals, reefs, shallow spots, now just lurking beneath the surface. When the keel hits the bottom in some uncharted waters then you know they are there.

There is a simple science here—when it is cool water freezes. When it is warm ice melts—and much ocean surface is for once in thousands, perhaps millions, of years ice free.

As for rocks—from my experience I’ve found them hard, often jagged, and unforgiving.

Not at all like melting ice!

Dennis Peacock

Clearwater, B.C.



newsroom@clearwatertimes.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Open burns now allowed in Kamloops Fire Centre

Anyone lighting an open fire still has to comply with B.C.’s air quality control laws

TLC completes fundraising campaign to protect Clearwater wildlife corridor

Land Trust protects additional 10 acres of migratory wildlife corridor

Water issues returning to normal for Vavenby

Sediment in river caused boil water advisory for community

Sikh community loses longtime member, closes temple

Holy Scripture will now be moved to Kamloops

RCMP police report

Clearwater RCMP responded to 42 calls for service over this past week

VIDEO: Neighbours fear impact of B.C. tent city residents

Greater Victoria residents opposed to campers voice concerns at provincial campground

B.C. premier apologizes for removal of 1950s totem pole at Canada-U.S. border

First Nations say pole was raised at Peace Arch but removed to make way for tourism centre

‘Summer from hell’: vandals rob Fort St. James community garden following devastating wildfire season

The community rallied to keep the Health Minds Community Garden open in Fort St. James

Tornado touches down in Ottawa and Gatineau, Que.

Environment Canada says cars and homes have been damaged by severe thunderstorms and high wind gusts

An unexpected sight: Bear spotted eating another bear in central B.C.

Cheslatta Carrier Nation Chief finds bear eating another bear’s carcass

RCMP confirm death of missing BC teen Jessica Patrick

No details on cause were given. Case is under criminal investigation and police are asking for tips.

CUTENESS OVERLOAD: 2 sea otters hold hands at the Vancouver Aquarium

Holding hands is a common – and adorable – way for otters to stay safe in the water

B.C. teen with autism a talented guitarist

Farley Mifsud is gaining fans with every performance

Yukon man facing new attempted murder charge in B.C. exploding mail case

Leon Nepper, 73, is now facing one charge each of aggravated assault and attempted murder

Most Read