Work is underway now on a $120,000 face-lift at the Wells Gray Information Center, according to MLA Terry Lake.
The two year project is intended ti bring new life to a building that serves as a vital link between the public, Wells Grey Provincial Park and local businesses, he said.
Planned improvements include:
* Upgrades to the building interior such as a new visitor-receiving desk, new paint and lighting, new carpeting and drapes.
* Replacement of the roof with low-maintenance, more durable metal.
* Replacement of the 30-year old heating and cooling system with a more efficient system that minimizes the carbon footprint and lowers operating costs.
* New and improved visitor displays with updated information.
* Replacement of building siding with more durable material.
* General fixes and upgrades to smaller building elements such as taps.
With over 150,000 visitors every year, the Wells Gray Infocenter is one of the busiest in the province.
In addition, BC Parks has made improvements to the Clearwater River Road in Wells Gray Provincial Park. The 20-kilometre project improved the road’s drainage, reducing the amount of damage the road incurs during the annual freshet.