The Thompson Nicola Regional District (TNRD) board of directors meeting held Apr. 28 produced the following highlights:
• The TNRD board approved $140,000 for the construction of an addition and front entrance improvements at the Little Fort Community Hall in Area “O” (Lower North Thompson).
• $10,000 was provided to fund the completion of a GIS inventory and digital mapping of the Vavenby Community Water System in Area “A” (Wells Gray Country).
• $5,000 was provided to fund the installation of a water meter to service the Canadian Forest Products Ltd. sawmill located at 2992 McCorvie Road, Vavenby, in Area “A”.
• MP Cathy McLeod attended and provided an update on the federal budget at the board meeting. She highlighted the aspects of the budget that had the greatest impact on local governments. She also responded to questions from directors.
• The board created an Agriculture Advisory Commission (AAC) for all electoral areas of the TNRD.
The AAC will be comprised of eight members appointed by the board of directors and contain representatives from the following sectors: cattle, dairy, vegetable growers, farmers market, the agrologist profession, and agriculture economics/funding agencies or other agriculture sector producers. The following matters will be referred to the AAC for their consideration and advice:
– Applications initiated under the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) Act.
– Zoning and other bylaws within or impacting the ALR or for agricultural uses.
– Official community plans within or impacting the ALR or for agricultural uses.
– Agricultural area plans.
– Farm “edge” policies.
– Major development proposals with potential impact on agriculture.
– Irrigation, drainage and other water management issues.
– High level solid waste management planning.
– Noxious insect and weed control regulations and programs where the TNRD is directly involved.