“We sincerely believe that a credit union is only as strong as its members and its communities.”
Those were the words of Kathy Conroy, president of Interior Savings Credit Union, as she prepared to cut the ribbon to officially open the credit union’s new branch location in Clearwater Shopping Centre by Highway 5.
The ceremony was held Saturday, Oct. 24.
Clearwater is the first of ISCU’s 21 branches to go through such a transformation, Conroy said.
“This branch paves the way for our future branch designs,” she said. “From early concept planning to final build, our goal was to build a branch with members and community at its heart.”
“This building is magnificent,” said mayor John Harwood. “It shows that we have a financial institution that believes in the North Thompson.”
The mayor particularly liked the photos decorating the inside and outside of the buiding that show some of the historical and geographic feattures of the area.
“I don’t see how you could do any better,” said M.P. Cathy McLeod. “Congratulations to Clearwater.”
The federal representative said this was the first opening she had attended since being re-elected during the recent federal election.
Branch manager Gina Walchuk thanked the more than 80 people who attended the opening for coming.
She gave special mention to Wadlegger Logging for donating some three-inch thick Douglas fir boards for a table in the new building’s community room, and a set of burls that were made into a stand for the waiting area.
Walchuk presented a $3,000 cheque to Clearwater Secondary School for making the table and stand from the wood.
The branch manager also mentioned Glen and April Small for donating the historic photos used in the building, as well as longtime credit union members Myron Smith and Bernice Thompson, who held the ends of the ribbon during the ribbon-cutting.
The new branch features an open design with natural décor, local photography and the pieces of furniture custom-built by Clearwater Secondary students.
The community-room with full multi-media capabilities and 24-hour access for local community organizations and businesses to hold meetings and celebrations, free of charge. Within the branch, there is also a small-business showcase area where local business members can show off their services and wares.
Other features include a self-service technology bar, a coffee bar, and a drive-through ATM. The insurance office has been relocated to right inside the branch.
Those attending from ISCU included:
Board of Directors:
- Gordon Matthews
- Kathy Conway, President & CEO
- Ted Schisler, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
- Donna Austin, VP, Operations
- Gene Creelman, Senior Vice President, Member and Community Engagement
- Trevor Tremblay, VP, Finance
- Mike Brousseau, Assistant Vice President and General Manager, Insurance
- Gina Walchuk, Branch Manager, Clearwater
- Louise Langton, Insurance Services Branch Manager, Clearwater
- Ron Ryman, Regional Manager
- Larry Chastko, Regional Manager
- Chris Mowat, Branch Manager, Barriere
- Kerri Koskimaki, Branch Manager, Chase
- Janna McConechy, Branch Manager, Valleyview in Kamloops
- Connie Hum, Branch Manager, Lansdowne in Kamloops