On Saturday, Sept. 13, sometime between 3:30 and 4 a.m., Vavenby volunteer firefighters were notified by a Canfor worker of a house fire on Capostinsky Road in Vavenby.
Six firefighters responded. When they arrived at the scene flames were visible on the roof and the north side of the home. The crew knew that the house could not be saved.
Property conservation became the goal. The firefighters did a wonderful job keeping the fire contained. They managed to save all surrounding buildings and homes.
A barbeque propane bottle blew, scaring some of the crew.The cause of the fire was impossible to discern due to how engulfed the house was.
The firefighters were on the scene for five hours putting out the fire and returned every hour throughout the day to check for hot spots. The crew taped the site to keep people out of the area.
Homeowner Charlotte West and her son were camping at Skyline Lake when this tragedy occurred. An RCMP officer went to notify them.
When she got home and saw all that she had lost she was devastated. West did not lose any of her animals, however. She had taken her dogs camping with her and a friend was looking after her alpacas.
West and her son will live in their camper for now. It is parked in a friend’s yard.
Both of Vavenby’s thrift stores are open to the Wests with a $50 gift certificate. A bottle has been put on the counter of the Vavenby General Store for anyone who wishes to make a donation to the family.
Thank-you, Vavenby, for coming together to help the West family in their hour of need.