Clearwater RCMP Report: Update on unknown attacker

Clearwater RCMP are very pleased with the public’s response following a recent news release that sought information on the identity of an unknown attacker

Clearwater RCMP are very pleased with the public’s response following a news release issued last week. Police are looking for any information on the identity of an unknown attacker that left one man in the hospital with serious injuries.

The news release prompted several leads and police now have a possible identity for the attacker. If anyone has any further information regarding this file, please do not hesitate to call the Clearwater RCMP or Crimestoppers. The file is still active and any and all leads will be of great help.

According to the release, on Saturday morning, April 2, at around 4:15 a.m., an unknown male attacked a man near Woodside Apartments in Clearwater. The victim was taken to hospital with serious injuries. He underwent facial surgery and is currently recuperating at home.

The victim had left a residence on Robson Street around 4 a.m. and walked to Park Road where the attack occurred. Two females in the area observed an unknown male run across Park Road from the bush near the arena and punch the victim several times. He then ran off towards the hospital. The identity of the assailant is not known.

The suspect is described as six feet tall, with a medium build and wearing a white sweater.

Attacks like this are rare in Clearwater and the police are appealing to the public for information. If you know who the suspect might be, have seen somebody in the area or witnessed the assault, please call Clearwater RCMP (250-674-2237) or Crimestoppers (1-800-222-TIPS).

Update on the search for May Millings

Search efforts continue in a quest to locate the vehicle owned by May Millings, a missing elderly woman from Gibsons. It is believed that her vehicle plunged into the fast moving current of the North Thompson River near Mad River on Sept. 3, 2010.

Recently GP Recover Services from 70 Mile House came to the Clearwater area and did an extensive search for the missing vehicle. With the assistance of the local Search and Rescue team, three full days were spent scouring the area below the crash site with the use of an ROV (remotely operated vehicle).

This eight-pound mini submarine, which is attached to a 500-foot umbilical cord, is equipped with powerful spotlights and a high definition digital video camera. As the operator remotely navigates this amazing little machine through the depths of the river, it sends real time footage back to a monitor on shore.

Although several pieces of the wreckage were located, the car itself still has not been found.

The husband and wife team that own this company volunteered their services in an attempt to put closure to this terrible tragedy.

Air 3, the Kelowna based RCMP helicopter, did an aerial search on April 7.  Several areas were ruled out, but three large holes still remain to be further explored as limited visibility hampered the view in those depressions. Further work will be done on this file before high water hits later this spring.

Local finds a unique way to breach his order

The RCMP deal with several cases every month where people are released from custody by promising to comply with specific conditions set out on a release order. These orders often include Undertakings, Recognizance, Conditional Sentence Orders, Probation Orders, and Parole.

One such case involved a local man who was released on a Recognizance and was to have no direct or indirect contact with another individual. This person took out an ad in the local newspaper in an attempt to get a message through to the other person. This constituted indirect contact, as he was sending a message to a person whom he was not supposed to communicate with in any way.


The man was arrested, held in Clearwater cells overnight, then transferred to Kamloops where he appeared before a Supreme Court Judge to answer to the allegation. At the time of this release, the outcome of that appearance was not yet decided. This was creative, but still a breach.