89-year-old machete attack victim continues to recover in Vancouver Island hospital

Bob Plumb likely to lose sight in his left eye after assault in Courtenay

Eighty-nine-year-old Bob Plumb will likely lose sight in his left eye after a vicious, unprovoked attack in downtown Courtenay July 31 by an assailant with a machete.

His granddaughter, Janelle Karatsikis, said Bob is handling everything as well as can be expected, and continues to recover in hospital.

“Considering everything that has happened, he is in pretty good spirits,” she told Black Press. “He has already had two surgeries, but he is still able to laugh and joke with us, even despite the fact that he is probably not going to have vision in that left eye again.”

RELATED: 89-year-old man attacked with machete in downtown Courtenay

Bob was transferred from Courtenay to Campbell River for his latest surgical procedure (plastic surgery), performed Thursday night. He was transferred back to Courtenay Friday.

“It sounds like that went OK but we don’t know,” said Karatsikis. “He still can’t open his eye at this time, so we don’t know what the prognosis is. But they said slim to none, that he will regain vision.”

Karatsikis said he is likely to need more surgeries, and added the concern after Bob is discharged will be his own independence.

Bob Plumb, resting in hospital after one of the numerous surgeries to repair damages to his face as a result of a vicious assault in downtown Courtenay Wednesday morning. Photo by Janelle Karatsikis

“The biggest thing is his driving; we aren’t sure where that will go,” she said. “We obviously don’t know whether he will be able to drive and that would take away his independence completely. The day before this happened, he drove to Qualicum [from Courtenay] to visit us while we were camping. He goes to Tim Hortons every day. He goes to Sieffert’s Farm. To be able to do that at 89, there are a lot of 89-year-olds who can’t function in their daily living, let alone delivering papers and driving from Courtenay to Qualicum.

“If he can’t drive, his independence will be hugely affected.”

Bob was attacked at 4:15 a.m. Wednesday in downtown Courtenay, while waiting for the drop-off of a newspaper bundle. It was a routine he performed every day, delivering a daily publication to the various Comox Valley businesses.

“That job was not for money at all – it was actually my grandma, who used to deliver papers for as long as I can remember. They met about 17 years ago and he just did them with her. She never drove, but he had a licence so they were able to do some things together in the car. Then when my grandma became ill, my Auntie Dianne took over the route, and Bob just continued to help. It was something he just enjoyed doing. He was up at that time of day, anyway. It was just some independence, and socialization for him, and to help my aunt out.”

Karatsikis said the crowdfunding campaign has been overwhelming. A gofundme page has been set up at https://bit.ly/2YnrkiH (Bobs Recovery). As of Friday morning, nearly $25,000 in donations had been collected.

“It’s just amazing to see the [generosity of the Comox Valley],” said Karatsikis. “After such an inhumane act occurs, you start to doubt things and doubt people. Bob would give the shirt off his back for any person, and when you see the community rally behind him, it just brings back faith in humanity. We appreciate everything.”

RELATED: Crowdfunding campaign started for victim of machete attack

Karatsikis said while Bob’s recovery is ongoing, there is still concern regarding his well-being.

“Obviously, each surgery that he has is putting him more at risk. Being 89 and going under general anesthetic, there is always significant risk. We are hopeful that he can stay healthy and not get pneumonia, not suffer any complications. So far he has done amazing, So our hope is to get him back home and care for him there.”



terry.farrell@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Childhood friends cycle for charity

Riders will cycle 1,400 kms by the end of their journey

NDP calls snap election, Milobar running for re-election

B.C. Premier John Horgan announced on Monday that he will officially terminate… Continue reading

Citing stability, B.C. Premier calls snap election for Oct. 24

John Horgan meets with Lieutenant Governor to request vote

Williams Lake First Nation inks historic cannabis deal with B.C. government

The agreement paves the way for WLFN to sell cannabis to the government, and open stores across B.C.

Interior Health reports three additional COVID-19 cases in region

The number of cases in the region since the beginning of the pandemic are now at 492

B.C. reports 91 new cases as officials remain worried over ‘clusters of COVID-19

There have now been a total of 8,395 cases in B.C. since the pandemic began

B.C. Green leader says NDP abandoning environmental plan

Horgan’s claim of unstable government false, Furstenau says

Transgender B.C. brothers debut fantasy novel as author duo Vincent Hunter

‘Transgender people are being misrepresented in popular fiction and media, and we aim to change that’

‘Won’t be gathering for Thanksgiving:’ Trudeau says COVID-19 2nd wave underway

In all, COVID-19 has killed about 9,250 people in Canada

COVID-19 exposure at Merritt pub

The exposure happened on Sept. 19 at the pub of the Coldwater Hotel

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Four more cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health

There are 31 active cases in isolation in the health region

Canada’s active COVID-19 cases top 10,000 as daily new cases triple over the past month

Dr. Tam repeated her warning to young people, who have made up the majority of recent cases

First 8 months of fatal overdoses in B.C. have now exceeded 2019 death toll

Nine people died every two days in August, BC Coroners Service data shows

Most Read