Where Are They Now? Kamloops family learned from carbon monoxide scare

After a family’s brush with carbon monoxide poisoning they weren’t sure if their lives would return to normal

The Ruppel family — Kyle

Andrea Klassen – Kamloops This Week

For the first few weeks after her family’s brush with carbon monoxide poisoning, Monique Ruppel and her husband, Kyle, weren’t sure if their lives would return exactly to normal.

There were a number of warning signs to watch out for that could indicate lasting side effects, Monique said, including memory issues and mood changes but, luckily for the Kamloops family, no issues surfaced after a 12-hour whirlwind of treatment in Kamloops and at Vancouver General Hospital.

“After a couple of weeks, we visited our doctor and he gave us the clear, saying we were healthy and not to worry about it any more,” she said.

“That was a relief.”

The Ruppels’ story starts one late night in January, when they woke to their daughter Celia crying.

When Monique tried to get out of bed to check on her she collapsed back, overcome with vertigo, waking her husband.

He too had strange symptoms — dizziness, burning eyes and a pounding headache.

By the time Monique had Celia in her arms, the then-15-month-old was starting to vomit.

One of the family cats collapsed at her feet. At that point, they decided to leave, calling family and packing their bags.

When Kyle’s parents showed up, he had begun to lose consciousness and the Ruppels were rushed to the hospital.

Soon after, they were flying to Vancouver to spend hours in submarine-like treatment chambers receiving oxygen therapy to counteract the effects of carbon monoxide from a leaking furnace.

“Thank God for Celia,” Monique told Canadian Press at the time. “She’s our little guardian angel. That’s how we look at it. She absolutely saved our lives and she doesn’t even know it.”

While Celia’s still too young to understand just what happened, Monique said she’ll remind her of the story when she’s older.

“It’ll be kind of neat when she finally is able to understand what really happened,” she said.

Since January, the family has replaced the furnace, installed backup carbon monoxide monitors and is encouraging others to make sure their monitors are in place and working correctly.

“It never occurred to us we had to have monitors in our home,” she said.

“We had smoke detectors because we knew we had to have that and we knew we had to have a CO monitor for inside our travel trailer because it runs on propane, but for some reason, it just escaped us that we needed to have one in the house.

“Now it’s like, of course you need to have one.”

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Folk duo set to take the stage in Clearwater

Performance takes place at the Dutch Lake Community Centre on Jan. 28

Clearwater Hockey Days

A look at this year’s Ice Hawks

Clearwater Winter Fest offers range of activities

The fun begins Jan. 17 and runs until Jan. 26

Editor, The Times:

Why not get involved?

Last weekend on the ice

Clearwater Ice Hawks host seven-team tournament

‘Like an ATM’: World’s first biometric opioid-dispensing machine launches in B.C.

First-of-its-kind dispensing machine unveiled in the Downtown Eastside with hopes of curbing overdose deaths

B.C. society calls out conservation officer after dropping off bear cub covered in ice

Ice can be seen in video matted into emaciated bear cub’s fur

Horgan cancels event in northern B.C. due to security concerns, says Fraser Lake mayor

The premier will still be visiting the city, but the location and day will not be made public

B.C. landlord sentenced to two years in jail for torching his own rental property

Wei Li was convicted of intentionally lighting his rental property on fire in October 2017

PHOTOS: Eastern Newfoundland reeling, search underway for missing man after blizzard

More than 70 centimetres of new snow fell overnight, creating whiteout conditions

Prince Harry, Meghan to give up ‘royal highness’ titles

‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family,’ says Queen Elizabeth II

Calls for dialogue as Coastal GasLink pipeline polarizes some in northern B.C.

Coastal GasLink is building the 670-kilometre pipeline from British Columbia’s northeast to Kitimat on the coast

Closed mills, housing surge support a positive forecast for lumber industries

B.C. lumber producers have closed mills accounting for 18% of province’s capacity, RBC report says

Good Samaritan pays part of rent for B.C. woman facing eviction in can-collecting dispute

Zora Hlevnjak, 76, supplements her pension by collecting cans and receiving public donations

Most Read