Family Literacy Day is held annually on Jan. 27 to raise awareness of the importance of reading and engaging in other literacy-related activities as a family.
This year, in honour of Family Literacy Day’s 15th year, ABC Life Literacy Canada is encouraging Canadian families to have “15 Minutes of Fun” learning together.
Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together for just 15 minutes a day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents.
Here are some great ways to get started:
• Create your own comic strip about your family.
• Invent two new endings to your favourite book.
• Make up a new recipe together and post it online.
• Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
• Sing five songs really, really loud!
Family Literacy Day is a national awareness initiative that was created by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999.