Kamloops This Week
With spring well underway in the Kamloops Fire Centre, the B.C. Wildfire Service is reminding the public to be careful with open-fire use to help reduce the risk of human-caused wildfires.
Although there are no open fire prohibitions in place within the Kamloops Fire Centre’s jurisdiction, anyone wishing to light an open fire must take the following precautions:
• ensure that enough people, water and tools are on hand to control the fire and prevent it from escaping;
• Do not burn during windy conditions. Weather conditions can change quickly and the wind may carry embers to other combustible material and start new fires;
• Create a fireguard at least one metre around the planned fire site by clearing away twigs, grass, leaves and other combustible material;
• Never leave a fire unattended;
• Ensure the fire is completely extinguished and the ashes are cold to the touch before leaving the area for any length of time.
Before conducting any open burn, people should check with their local fire department, municipality and regional district to ensure that no open burning restrictions or bylaws are in effect.
To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, call *5555 on a cellphone or 1 800 663-5555 toll-free.