Protect yourself with these fire prevention tips

Canadians may be taking some risks when it comes to fire safety according to a recent RBC Insurance survey

Canadians may be taking some risks when it comes to fire safety according to a recent RBC Insurance survey, as 36 per cent of Canadian homeowners admit they don’t have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen.

“Damages from a fire can be a financial and emotional nightmare for homeowners” says Tim Bzowey, vice president, Home and Auto, RBC Insurance. “It’s important to understand how employing a few simple safety tips can help protect our loved ones and homes from the dangers of fire.”

• Avoid using “octopus outlets”. Clusters of wires and plugs can overload your electrical system leading to overheating and extremely dangerous electrical fires.

• Store combustibles such as newspapers, kindling, or matches away from the fireplace. If you use a wood-burning fireplace, have your chimney inspected by a professional prior to the start of every heating season. It’s also important to make sure your fireplace and chimney are properly cleaned and maintained.

• Closely monitor flame burning candles and, where possible, use wickless candles. The survey also found that 52 per cent of homeowners are lighting flame burning candles in their home.

• Install a monitored fire alarm in your home. You could receive an extra discount on home insurance premiums as well as having the comfort of the alarm’s additional protection.

• Always use the correct size fuse. Replacing a fuse with one of a larger size can cause excessive currents in the wiring and possibly start a fire.

For more information, please visit www.rbcinsurance.com.

– Royal Bank of Canada