Calvin Lutz, president/poppy chairman
I would like to thank the businesses and people of Clearwater, Vavenby, Birch Island, and surrounding areas for their generous support of our 2016 Poppy Campaign.
We received donations of $7,500.
Thanks to all the volunteers who generously donated their time and efforts to ensure the success of our campaign. To date we have disbursed to veterans’ welfare, youth and seniors the following:
• Tapestry Foundation – Brock Fahrney Pavilion, home to 148 residents, many of whom are veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces – $500.
• George Derby Centre, which consists of three general resident care units and two modern secured special care units for residents with dementia – $500.
• Legion Foundation for medical equipment – $500.
• Legion Foundation – Cockerel House, which provides safe transitional housing and social services to help ex military personnel integrate back into society in a healthy way – $500.
• Legion Foundation for veterans’ transition program for treating veterans with trauma and PTSD – $1,500.
• Legion Foundation for Legion Military Skills Conversion Program at BCIT to transition veterans by offering education and support – $500.
• Legion Foundation Veterans Gift Fund for Christmas gifts – $500.
• Broadmead Veterans Memorial Lodge, which is a 229-bed residential care facility with 115 beds for veterans, 110 beds for seniors and four respite care beds for veterans – $500.
• Black Maria Air Cadet Squadron, Kamloops – $250.
• Fort McMurray Wildfire Relief fund – $500. (Legions across Canada donated nearly $1.5 million to this fund}
• Clearwater Schools Poster and Literary Contest prize money – $610. (One of our primary goals is to foster Remembrance Day and through this contest we have been able to involve Canadian schoolchildren in helping us to promote not only the National Remembrance Day Service but also the act of honoring our military heritage.)
• Nicola-Thompson Royal Canadian Legion Zone, to help fund the Poster and Literary Contest – $100.
• Veterans, Spouse, and Caregivers annual dinner – $750.
Total disbursed.– $7,210.
Thanks again for your outstanding support.
Many thanks to my poppy committee members, vice-president Harry James and sergeant-at-arms Murray Doull, who made my job so much easier this year.